“Yoga means getting on well with everything in life: getting on well with the food we eat, the air we breathe, the environment we live in, the people we live with and the work we do.” -Dr. ALV Kumar
The aim of The Yoga Healing Foundation is to restore an understanding of the relationship of the different limbs of yoga and to present this knowledge in its original, whole and undiluted practical form for the benefit of all practitioners and teachers. Hatha Yoga for the body and Raja Yoga for the mind. Many of our programs are taught by Dr. A.L.V.Kumar, an inspirational teacher and yoga master.
The Yoga Healing Foundation is a registered charity run by volunteers that delivers programs under the heading of Traditional Yoga.
We run high quality courses, training programs, workshops, seminars, lectures and evening classes teaching a range of yoga practices and techniques, contextualised by theory, based on ancient traditional knowledge.
We collaborate with Traditional Yoga India to:
- Run free yoga and health awareness workshops. Participants are taught how yoga can be used to prevent and treat many common health disorders through hatha yoga and meditation practice, supported by a healthy diet and traditional therapies.These address the growing levels of diabetes, hypertension, obesity and cancer in India and the increasing dependency on pharmaceuticals.
- Train local yoga teachers to a high level of proficiency in order to encourage the spread of yoga and alternative therapies.
- Organise conferences and seminars on yoga to spread awareness of its benefits, amongst for example, the medical community, in government departments and community groups.
- Fund the sourcing and purchasing of rare, original Indian texts pertaining to yoga and translate, digitise and make them available as a public resource.
We run two silent meditation and yoga retreats per year:
- A 15 day winter course at a peaceful resort in the forest of Karnataka, S. India
- A 10 day course in Sussex in the UK over the summer.
Across the UK, we also offer:
- Yoga workshops including therapeutic yoga
- Meditation weekend courses
- Meditation evening classes
- Meditation teacher training courses.
Dr. ALV Kumar is a Yoga Alliance certified instructor and offers RYT-200 and RYT-500 certification teacher training courses in India where he also teaches large scale free public yoga and health awareness workshops.
Many of our courses are offered free of charge or at a low cost, and as in the yoga tradition we welcome donations in gratitude for the teaching and in order to further our charitable work. We offer full scholarship and subsidised places for all our courses which have a fee, applications are made to our bursary committee. Please contact us if you wish to apply.
Please visit the Courses and Events page for more information.
The Yoga Healing Foundation has revived many pranayamas, bandanas and mudras which are not commonly practiced in the West or in Southern yoga schools in India. We emphasise the importance of asana sequence, based on the energy flow system from gross to subtle energy centres in the body so that one can make swift progress in Hatha Yoga.
Meditation is central to traditional yoga and is based on progressive practice that begins with calming down the mind, through the practice of samadhi and leads to the development of deep awareness and insight, pragnya. The practice and theory is based on the eight step methodology of the Yoga Darshana tradition as taught by Patanjali, fundamentally connected to the teachings of Buddha. Kumar emphasises the scientific and secular nature of yoga, not to be confused with religion.
The workshops introduce yoga kaya chikitsa, an ancient healing practice that has been lost for hundreds of years, that shares common roots with acupuncture and acupressure. Dr. ALV Kumar is one of only three people in the world today with this knowledge, a practice traditionally used to treat people who cannot practice yoga for themselves due to ill health. His intention is to share his knowledge and spread awareness of these powerful healing practices by training teachers and practitioners to use them for the benefit of themselves and others.
“Yoga is many limbed, and is not to be confused with any form of religion. My aim is to restore the understanding of the relationship of different branches of traditional yoga so as to enable each person to make swift and effective progress”
Dr. Kumar has been a lifelong practitioner of yoga and meditation. His interest in teaching came about as a result of a car crash that resulted in complete paralysis of the lower body. He used his knowledge of yoga to restore his body to full health. Following this experience he decided todedicate as much time as possible to teaching yoga to heal both body and mind.Kumar was recently honored with the Bharat Jyoti Award and the Glory of India Award for his meritorious public service in the field of yoga.
Please see About Kumar for more details.
The Yoga Healing Foundation -Charity number 1153094